I felt like I had lost control. Things weren’t floating the way I expected them. I think that fluid grid layout in Dreamweaver has a lot to live up to. I much prefer using classes to control boxes. The 1140px Grid System is flexible and if you understand code, very straight forward. It suffers from what is referred to as “divitis” (lots of divs) but it makes up for it in even spacing and clear labeling.
Going from one to the other meant overhauling the site. Keeping the html someplace safe while I put in the framework. It is a good exercise because I closed off some tags that were left open and understood better where I put things. I am glad my slideshow is working like it should. Everything is feeling much more structured than my last website.
To do list:
add the logo in the header
Styling buttons, posts and designing a banner ad
Getting more feature articles (I need 10)
Coding some drop-down menus
polishing general design
adjusting slideshow size to fit container
cut down photos to the right size and quality for maximum performance
add font squirrel fonts